New York Bar Exam Review Course Options
Students preparing for the New York Bar Exam are faced with one of the most difficult bar exams in the country. The overall pass rate for the July, 2014 exam was 65%. Some of you unfortunately received your bar results on October 27, 2015 and were faced with the bad news of not passing the New York Bar Exam. The good news is that there is a wide variety of bar review course available to fit a range study styles, time constraints, and budgets. Here are just a few.
- AmeriBar Bar Review. AmeriBar offers a comprehensive online bar review course for a number of jurisdictions, including New York. Its New York bar exam programs include the Multistate Bar Exam Course and the Multistate Performance Test Course. AmeriBar distinguishes itself from other bar review courses by offering a customized, self-directed program based on well-established adult learning practices. Depending on the options you select, the price of an AmeriBar course ranges from $1295 to $2695. Each course includes books, online lectures, a practice question databank, study calendar templates, and attorney telephone mentoring. IPod rental and essay critiques are also available.
- Barbri. Founded in 1967, Barbri still offers traditional and live classes, it also offers video classroom lectures as well as online courses and a mobile app. Live classes are offered in several major cities throughout New York State, including multiple locations in Manhattan, Long Island, Staten Island, Syracuse, Ithaca, Albany and Rochester. Barbri’s most comprehensive package includes lectures, outlines, MBE and exam writing workshops, and a simulated MBE. The cost is $3895.
- BarMax. BarMax offers bar exam prep for the New York Bar Exam as well as for the New Jersey and California bar exams. Founded in 2010 by graduates of Harvard Law School, BarMax boasts over 50 hours of lectures by Harvard Law School-educated law professors. In addition, with the purchase of the comprehensive course you get flashcards, over 1000 real MBE questions, essay questions, essay critiques and unlimited email and phone support. The price of the course is $999.99.
- Celebration Bar Review. Celebration Bar Review offers comprehensive online bar review programs for the New York Bar Exam as well as for the New Jersey, Florida, California and Georgia Bar Exams. There are several different course options, each of which includes audio and video lectures, printed books, digital outlines of the law, sample questions for each part of the exam and a study guide. Celebration also offers essay writing and performance test workshops as well as personal mentoring options. The price ranges from $595 for the online multistate only course to $6,995 for the comprehensive “Platinum Mentoring Complete” package. The Platinum package includes online lectures, outlines, and a study guide as well as unlimited personal coaching.
- Kaplan Bar Review. Kaplan’s New York Bar review course includes MBE preparation, subject review and practice, full-length simulated exams, and a study plan. You can attend Kaplan’s on-site live lectures, access the lectures via live online feed, or access them on-demand online. The price of the comprehensive course varies from $2,995 to $3,745 depending on whether you choose to take it on-site or on-demand. There are locations for on-site lectures throughout New York State including Manhattan, Brooklyn, Ithaca, Albany, and Buffalo.
- Marino Bar Review. The Marino family has been in the bar preparation business since 1946. Marino uses a pedagogical approach to bar exam prep that promotes comprehension, memorization, recall, and exam performance. While memorization is important, Marino also emphasizes learning how to accurately apply the law. All Marino lectures are available online on-demand. The cost of the New York Bar Maximizer course is $995. Early enrollment discounts are available.
All class prices are as of 2015 – Please look at direct websites to see course prices and options!